From 2000 to 2018, Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish, Cincinnati, OH held a garage sale for their twinning community, Cultural Center of Batahola Norte. The IHM parishioners donated their “treasures” each May for the event. Over 300 parishioners volunteered to work the sale which included Friday night set-up team leaders and their crews, the weekend before the sale crews took donations at the Kroger trucks, the furniture crews who pick up furniture donations on Wednesday night before the sale and the day of the sale crews, not to mention the cleanup crew. The grade school and high school students earned service hours for their efforts. The annual event raised over $114,000 for the Center. At the end of the sale, St. Vincent de Paul, Salvation Army, Comboni Missionaries, Healthy Moms and Babes, and other local women’s shelters would fill their vans and trucks with the leftovers. This labor of love for the poor was a modern-day “loaves and fishes” event.
- Host a garage sale, dance, car wash or silent auction to benefit the Center.
- Sell Center crafts to benefit the Center and share Nicaraguan culture.
- Host a house party fundraiser and share about the Center’s work.
- Organize a penny wars competition or a non-uniform day at your school.
- Ask your church or school to hold a collection for the Center.
Since 2013, Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish has held “From the Mountains to the Seas” Luncheons each spring, one on Friday and one on Saturday for our twinning communities including the Cultural Center of Batahola Norte. Staff members from the Center come when possible to share experiences and crafts are for sale from the artisans at the Center. Over $100,000 has been raised for CCBN over a seven year period.