Since 2000, Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish, Cincinnati, OH has held a garage sale for their twinning community, Cultural Center of Batahola Norte. The IHM parishioners donate their “treasures” each May for the event. This year over 300 parishioners volunteered to work the sale. There are the Friday night set-up team leaders and their crews, the weekend before the sale crews who take donations at the Kroger trucks, the furniture crews who pick up furniture donations on Wednesday night before the sale and the day of the sale crews, not to mention the cleanup crew. The grade and high school students earn service hours for their efforts. The annual event has raised over $114,000 for the Center. At the end of the sale, St. Vincent de Paul, Salvation Army, Comboni Missionaries, Healthy Moms and Babes, and other local women’s shelters fill their vans and trucks with the leftovers. This labor of love for the poor is a modern-day “loaves and fishes” event.
To find out about donating items or volunteering for the next garage sale, email us.
“The picture of living stewardship in action is our annual Batahola Garage Sale.” –Fr. Jan Schmidt, Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish
- Host a garage sale, dance, car wash or silent auction to benefit the Center.
- Sell Center crafts to benefit the Center and share Nicaraguan culture.
- Host a house party fundraiser and share about the Center’s work.
- Organize a penny wars competition or a non-uniform day at your school.
- Ask your church or school to hold a collection for the Center.