The Friends of Batahola are inspired by the vision of the Cultural Center of Batahola Norte founders, Sr. Margie Navarro, CSJ and Fr. Angel Torrellas, OP and will continue their mission of empowering the people of Nicaragua.
Friends of Batahola supports, sustains and promotes the Cultural Center of Batahola Norte in Managua, Nicaragua, through prayer, financial assistance, solidarity and building community, there by responding to the call of the Gospel.
In 1983, Sr. Margarita Navarro, CSJ, originally of Cincinnati, OH and Fr. Angel Torrellas, OP, a missionary from Spain, founded the Cultural Center of Batahola Norte. In 2000, Sr. Margie learned of her terminal illness. She asked Sr. Helen Prejean, CSJ to help keep the Center functioning. Sister Helen gathered together several mutual friends and in 2001, the group became the Board of the Friends of Batahola. They organized under United Stated federal law as a not-for-profit education organization for the strict purpose of raising funds to support the Cultural Center. The Board has since expanded to include members from various cities and professions. The Friends of Batahola has no paid staff and Board members cover all their own travel and operating expenses.
The Friends of Batahola is a certified 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization. All donations are tax deductible. The Friends of Batahola work in conjunction with Jennifer Marshall, Cultural Center of Batahola Norte Coordinator, to coordinate all fundraising activities in the United States.
Friends of Batahola, Board Of Directors
- Sr. Helen Prejean, CSJ, New Orleans, LA (Honorary Chairperson)
- Sr. Sandra Blanchard, CSJ, Baton Rouge, LA (Honorary Vice President)
- Mark Overley, Cincinnati, OH (President)
- Jeannine Blatt, Cincinnati, OH (Secretary)
- Susan Keefe, Cincinnati, OH (Corresponding Secretary)
- Andi Sebastian, Cincinnati, OH (Treasurer)
- Mary Ann Antrobus, Baton Rouge, LA
- Patricia Berning, Cincinnati, OH
- Richard Gruber, PHD, Cincinnati, OH
- Melissa Hess, Lancaster, PA
- Terri Holman, Stillwater, MN
- Michael Keefe, Washington, DC
- Dotty McCrea, San Francisco, CA
- Rebekah Menning, Northfield MN
- Mary O’Toole, Cincinnati, OH
- Virginia Serio, Baton Rouge, LA
- LaVette Ulichnie, Flower Mound, TX
- Anna Vanhaverbeke, Baton Rouge, LA